Friday, March 28, 2014

Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies (Crispy) and Egg Baths!

 Two days ago I made sure I baked some awesome cookies from a cookbook I have no had a chance to try out until now.  You will find that I have way too many cookbooks for my own good.  I took a picture a couple days ago and will share that in a later post. 

Today is a special day. It's FRIDAY! Today is the day all your boring, but smart, decisions are forgotten and instead, new decisions, not in your best interests are made.  For example... COOKIES!

All week I try to eat well.  I try to limit myself to 1/2-1 cup of coffee.  I refrain from sugared creamers or syrups.  I try to have soup or salad at lunch.  And for dinner, well I try not to go too over the top with salt, butter, and the other tasty treats that make more dinners sing.  However, on the weekend I let loose.  Baking is a passion of mine and I try my best to reign it in.  You will find that I fail at this attempt miserably. 


Plus... my mom bought me this awesome Kitchenaid mixer... I just love to use it as much as possible!




This weekend I got a head start and baked some walnut chocolate chip cookies.  This recipe is slightly different because it uses half shortening and half butter.  This difference creates a crispy cookie.  Here's how I made it:

 
Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies (Crispy)

1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (1 stick)
1/2 cup shortening                      
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg                
1 3/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)

Pre-heat oven to 375

- Beat the sugars, butter, and shortening together until smooth and fluffy.




- Add egg and vanilla.  Slowly Mix in flour, salt, and baking soda until evenly combined. I love the good Madagascar Vanilla...



- Hand mix in chocolate chips and coarse chopped nuts. 



- Make dough into 1- 1 1/2 heaping teaspoons mounds.  onto a greased pan. 




- Bake for 8-10 minutes.  (Watch cookies after 8 minutes as the shortening makes these cookies turn brown fast).





Let cool on wire rack. ENJOY!  Look at the ladies at the office enjoying these lovelies!

 
On an egg note... Yesterday was egg washing day!

"What do you mean Chrissy?  What's egg washing day?"

I'm very glad you asked.  Egg washing day is when I take all the eggs that I either emptied while baking or received from local friends who also emptied eggs for me.  I want to make sure each egg dyes evenly and takes egg dye beautifully.  I set all the eggs together, turn the water on warm, and scour each egg with a plastic scrubber (NOT METAL!).  I use vinegar and baking soda in a mixture to wash each egg.  I also use a little soap if the egg was really dirty.  

Here is my finished egg pile!



 
 
I hope to have lots of new egg photos for you in the next couple days!  Come back soon for a great creamy red pasta recipe!

1 comment: